Headaches Q & A
What’s causing your headaches?
Headaches have a variety of causes, or “triggers” with hormonal, genetic, environmental, emotional, or neurological causes.
Ninety-five percent of headaches are primary headaches and don’t have an underlying condition and include tension, migraine, or cluster headaches. Most occur because of muscle tension in your neck. For example, when you spend hours sitting in front of a computer or at a desk, this sedentary behavior can cause joint irritation and tension in your neck, upper back, and scalp — causing a headache.
Approximately 5% of headaches indicate something is awry in your body and a prompt diagnosis may save your life.
How can chiropractic care help with headaches?
If you’re suffering from a primary headache, Dr. McNabb can help relieve your pain by doing one or more of the following:
- Perform spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustments to improve your spinal function and alleviate the stress on your body
- Offer advice on posture and ergonomics (work posture) as well as exercises and relaxation techniques
- Perform cold laser therapy, an innovative technique that stimulates your natural healing process
He might also recommend changing your diet to include more B complex vitamins.
How can cold laser therapy help your headache?
Cold laser or low-level laser therapy treats your sinus headaches, cluster headaches, tension headaches, migraines, and cervicogenic headaches. The laser therapy stimulates your natural healing process:
- Increases local microcirculation
- Increases blood levels of serotonin (the body’s “feel good” chemical)
- Releases your innate pain relieving system
- Alters the enzymes required for proper nervous system functioning
Dr. McNabb applies infrared light directly to your problem area, and your tissues absorb the light. This low-level light therapy leads to a biological reaction that helps your damaged cells regenerate. Most of the time, one session takes only a few minutes. Dr. McNabb determines the number of sessions you need based on your condition.
Is cold laser therapy safe for treating headaches?
The treatment is entirely noninvasive and painless. During the procedure, the device presses against your skin, but it doesn’t create heat, sounds, or vibrations.
Because this method doesn’t require you to take medication, you don’t have to worry about unwanted side effects. Cold laser therapy is a safe and effective treatment for headaches.
Call Kilgore Integrated Health today or schedule an appointment online to discuss if cold laser therapy can help alleviate your headache symptoms.